Thank You John H. Emery Rail Heritage Trust
Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad recently received a $10,000 grant from The John H. Emery Rail Heritage Trust in support of its “Powering Ahead” Capital Campaign. CVSR is the midst of a first-ever capital campaign in support of a master plan to expand, enhance and preserve its fleet.
The John H. Emery Rail Heritage Trust was created by John Emery, a native of Chicago, and a lover of the classic passenger trains of America. The Trust was founded as a way to support Mr. Emery’s interests in the passenger trains of the 1920’s though the 1950’s.
The grant will be used to renovate a Rail Diesel Car (RDC) that was built in 1950 for the New York Susquehanna and Western Railway. It was sold in 1957 to the Central Railroad of New Jersey. The car was acquired by New Jersey Transit in 1983 and then by the Coryden Scenic Railroad in the late 1980s/early 1990s.
CVSR purchased it in 2003. It was restored and unveiled to the public June 27, 2004. Initially it was used as a private charter car, then in 2005 it was used for Canton service which has since been discontinued. The car has been out of use for the last several years. The RDC is a self-propelled diesel multiple unit (DMU) railcar.
CVSR would like to thank The John H. Emery Rail Heritage Trust for their continued support of CVSR and its mission to provide educational, recreational and heritage railroad experiences and to provide alternative transportation to and within Cuyahoga Valley National Park and the Ohio & Erie Canalway.
To learn more about John Emery please visit http://emeryrailheritagetrust.org/WP/john-h-emery/